Saturday, July 16, 2016

Thoughts on Anna


So I finally got around to downloading the ptr (public test realm) version of overwatch and trying out Anna. If you didn't know you can already play Anna on the ptr by just clicking on overwatch and changing the version you're playing on.

I've been having more fun playing Anna on ptr than actual competitive overwatch. She's the most awesome, coolest character ever! Part of why I like playing overwatch is because I dig all the waifus the game has to offer. Well, Anna fits the bill as a great waifu-a mom at that. She's Pharah's mother with a wicked backstory. However, you can read about that in plenty of other places. Here I'll talk all about Anna's kit and what I think about her moves. Anna is like the Solid Snake of overwatch. She has grenades and a stun dart just like Snake in Project M. I did a short introduction to Anna back in this post here. I'll do a recap on her kit here.

High health pool
Anna has a solid 225 health which is more than the other supports currently in the game. Although she goes down like a wet paper nap at least she has a good health pool to work with. The 225 health is actually really good at the moment. Although she's glass cannon I feel like I have some wiggle room with her health being high. 

Awesome sniper rifle
She has a biotic rifle that can used to heal allies as well as damage enemies. Although she's classified as a sniper most of your healing shots are all going to be fired from the hip because you have a wider field of vision which allows you to see all your teammates around you. You'll need the wider field of view to keep watch on everybody's health. You'd think firing from the hip with a sniper rifle would be a pain but with Anna its a breeze. It's actually super fun. There's nothing like getting a headshot insta kill with a hipshot sniper shot. Anna does that! Also, her sniper rifle reloads super fast. This isn't like Widowmaker's slow reload. This is more akin to say Call of Duty Black Op 2's Svu-as. Basically a super good sniper rifle with a fast reload. Perfect with headshots too. Although Anna doesn't do a lot of damage if you get headshots you can still instakill or two-shot people. 

Grenades
If she throws her grenades at allies it increases all healing they get. If thrown on enemies it reduces all healing they take. It's awesome and the grenades do a little bit of damage against enemies too.  I think the effect even works on yourself if you throw it at the ground around you. Pretty neat.

Sleep dart
She has a sidearm (shift on pc) sleep dart that puts enemies to sleep for quite a bit of time. They'll stay asleep as long as nobody fires at them for what seems like more than 5 seconds. I've been having a lot of trouble getting my sleep darts to land but once they connect its so sweet. I've gotta practice more with this move. It has a long ten second cooldown so you have to use it sparingly and know exactly when to throw it out. It's super effective!

Nano-boost
Her ultimate nano-boost is going to be one of the best support ultimates in the game once she's official. It makes an ally stronger and faster for a short period of time. I've come to find it perfect for tanks, especially Reinhardt. Once he gets nano-boosted he just becomes an unstoppable Hulk. I've also used it on Zenyatta and it was pretty cool. I even used it on another Anna and it worked out pretty well. However, you probably want to save this for dps and/or tanks not other supports for the most effective outcome.

One of the hardest things to get used to with Anna is not zooming in all the time and going for sniper headshots. If you do that too much you'll miss out on healing your teammates. I like to fish for headshots when I notice enemies' health is low but for the most part I'm on the frontlines healing my team, throwing grenades, and charging my nano-boost. She's so satisfying to play as a character because her healing is great and she does moderate damage. Although that sounds ordinary her playstyle stands far apart from all the other characters and from any character I've ever played in a first person shooter game. Blizzard is breaking boundaries here and giving us something new. I can't help but marvel at this unique and fun character design. This is why Blizzard is so good at making games. They know how to make things fun. Something that gets lost in video game development these days.

However, with that being said I feel like Anna is a little overpowered as of right now. I don't think her nano-boost will be as good as it is now once she goes live. Also, I don't think she will have keep the 225 health because that seems like a lot for a support character. I feel like her damage should be increased to make her more viable as an offensive hero. Don't get me wrong, she can still dish out damage and headshot people but she ain't no Widowmaker. I really like what I've seen and I have to commend Blizzard on a job well done. But we all know that Blizzard makes all their heroes overpowered at first so everyone can jump on the new hero bandwagon. Then, once everybody gets used to the character they nerf the hell 'outta the previously op (overpowered) hero. I have a feeling that's what's going to happen with Anna too. Hopefully she stays this awesome once she's released. I like her so much that I'm planning on being a Mercy/Anna main .

In other news last post I wrote about gaming plans. One of them was to join some competitive gaming teams. Well later this week I'm trying out for a smash 4 team. And next month I'm going to join an overwatch team. Unless I find another team sooner. Things are looking great for the future.

Thanks for reading and I will see you all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...