Thursday, September 15, 2016

Who's Your Favorite Overwatch Hero Or Villain?


We all have our favorite heroes and villains that we love playing in Overwatch. For me I gravitated towards the support characters-Mercy and Zenyatta especially during Season One. Something about Mercy just stuck with me the first time I started playing as her. She isn't the easiest to master but once you become really good with her you can go entire games without dying. However, now that I have like 40 hours with her I'm not playing her as much as I'm playing Zenyatta. I don't like solely healing as Zenyatta but I will if I have to, thus playing more defensively. When I have a Lucio or Ana on my team then I go for a more offensive style. A killer Zen robot. Pretty cool.

I'm also pretty good with Ana. I don't do a lot of damage or land too many sleeper darts. However, I can heal an entire team as the sole healer as Ana and hardly ever die. I see Ana as more a hero that should be healing more and hardly ever dying. However, that doesn't stop me from being on the front-lines with my allies, healing them, and taking a few sniper shots against my enemies. 

But I don't always play healers. Sometimes other players pick healers first and in those situations I go dps, and even more rarely tank. My favorite dps characters are Soldier 76, Genji, Tracer, and McCree. I'm great with Tracer and Soldier and okay with Genji and McCree. I really want to make a transition from heavily playing healers to dps so I'm going to focus on those four dps characters, mastering each one a bit at a time.

The only tank I'm great with is Winston. Something about his shield and his laser gun is just super overpowered, especially when I'm playing him offensively on Control maps. Sometimes I'll go Zarya but its not something I like to do often.

With certain characters its important for players to be super good. For example, if you have a Reinhardt on your team they have to be super good otherwise your team will just lose badly.

The community sees certain characters differently. For example Ana is seen as a hero that a lot of players are incompetent with, not in terms of healing or damage but positionally. A lot of Overwatch matches is just about positioning-where your team is versus where the enemy team is.

Another thing we should consider is the fact that do you have to play heroes that you're good with in order to enjoy the game? This is a biggie. Competence is a major thing in competitive games like this. When I play a hero that I suck with and I play poorly and the enemy team takes a point or something because I'm sucking I do get upset. In those moments I think about the fact that if I was playing a hero I'm good with that wouldn't have happened. However, if I never play heroes I'm bad with I'll never improve with other characters in the game. Quite the conundrum ain't it?

In the end this is all subjective and its just a game. We're in it to win it and have fun. Who's your favorite hero or villain in Overwatch?

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...