Friday, September 27, 2019

An ode to my twenties

I just turned thirty years old on September 25, 2019. It's been a great life, full of peace, and love, and happiness, as Hendrix used to say. I feel like all the time spent in my twenties went to good use. I've really come into my own as a person, a man, a brother, a son, an employee, a friend. Thirty is the beginning of the next phase of life where I'll strive for success. And keep up the good stuff. However, I can't overlook the great soul searching that took thirty years. 

First of all, living in California under the tutelage of my stepfather has changed me a lot as a person. For the better. I started reading a lot of books and it turned out that I love reading. As a result of reading a lot, I've turned to writing a lot as well. As a matter of fact, I've been writing this blog for the last six years, how long I've been living out here in Cali. Not only did I take up the reading habit but I've also learned to look inwards towards myself, and become more soft-spoken, and develop an interior life away from my friends, work, and family, leading me to become more confident and more assertive.

My attitude about life has improved a lot. Work doesn't seem like a chore anymore. Rather, it is an interactive experience where I get to interact with the being, worldhood, of the world, something I picked up from Heidegger, from his philosophical opus, Being and Time. I've developed a zenlike attitude in most things. "There is neither praise nor blamed attached." 

Dad: This is all psychological but the older you get, the faster time goes. This goes without being said. It's a feeling, a dasein, if you will, [also from Heidegger, dasein, is related to "being there", "presence"] The feeling somehow kicked into overdrive over the last two days of being thirty. I've come to maturity. Not within the last two days. But over the last ten years. The sense of knowing that you don't have time to do everything you want to do in your day. Therefore, you eliminate all the unnecessary activities in your day, and you only do the things that really matter to you. For me, this would include guitar playing, keyboard playing, jamming with my saxophone playing friend, reading, writing, working, and the occasional hangout. I've figured out that I have no time for gaming really. It's just unrealistic to fit gaming into 24 hours when there are so many other more important, worthy pursuits, such as music, reading, and writing. 

My advice for youngsters: Find what you love and focus on that. Eliminate all frivolous activity. Chill with friends and make as many friends as possible. But in the end, you might find out that your friends need you more than you need them. Find solace in solitude and seek/contemplate/ruminate on silence and inner being. Read what interests you to get you into reading, then start reading everything you can: including the Western canon, philosophy, fiction, nonfiction, history, music, art, etc. Learn as much as you can. Be more patient than everyone you know. Make every interaction a good experience. On all of your bad days remember that there is still peace and love in the universe no matter how bad you have it.

An ode to my twenties. 

4 comments:

  1. Of course being a youngster is all relative. But it's good to be well-read, to have a sentimental education, to have self-knowledge, to have an interior life that belongs only to you, that when you look in the mirror, the person looking back at you is someone you're proud of. And to quote the Great Chairman, "Life is struggle and contradiction, and if you fuck up, it is re-education through hard labor." So, if possible, do it right the first time. Always be thankful for good luck, and if things go south (and things will go south) be thankful for grace. And last but not least, always be thankful for the love of a woman. (Whew!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Ireland in Red River famously said you need 3 things in life: a fine Swiss watch, a Winchester rife, and a woman from anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to forget: Nelson Algren, the great American proletarian writer from the 50s offers these life lessons: Never play poker with a guy call Doc. New eats at a place called Ma's. And never sleeps with a woman who has more problems than you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simone de Beauvoir, often regarded as an early feminist of the bourgeois period, regarded Nelson Algren as the love of her life, in spite of the fact that she spent the rest of her life with Jean-Paul Sarte, the French atheist existentialist. She was buried with a silver ring Algren gave her as a gift. Kurt Vonnegut, the great American writer of the late bourgeois period (60s, after which corporatist America destroyed American liberal democracy as we know it) remarked that Algren spent a lot of time writing, reading and gambling, leaving him little time to pay attention to the women in his life.

    ReplyDelete

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...