Sunday, March 1, 2020

It is Being

Greetings everyone! Thought I'd do a short post saying since I haven't written much for about a month. Things are alright but could be better. Work has been a little rough around the edges but I'm doing the best that I can [it's getting better all the time]. Sometimes you just have to relax and not take work seriously. It's not like it's as serious as your life [a great title of a great free jazz book by a British woman]. Honestly, these days, I'm just glad to still have a job, lol. 

I've been reading a lot. I'm nearly finished reading The Republic by Plato. Wow! What a terrific read. 2,000 years of philosophical thought, transcended down to today. The funny thing is that after reading so much philosophy, there isn't really anything new or truly great, or exciting from reading The Republic. Rather, it's the way it's written that is quite unique and interesting to the budding philosopher. 

The Republic is written as one long 400-page conversation between philosopher friends. There's the guy who questions Plato on everything, and he answers everything back, in great detail. The great thing is that although the dialogue itself is quite simple, it forces you to really think about questions and answers, going towards any plausible or implausible questions and answers. The Republic forces you to think. In addition, the way it's written ensures that there's no way you can speed through this. Because it's written as people talking together and asking questions, then answering, akin to the way people talk. This is a very engaging way to learn philosophy. I'm more used to the more dry prose of say Hobbs or Kant.

But yeah, so I've finally read Plato. Bring on Aristotle next. I'll write a proper report on The Republic in the next couple of days. I haven't written much within the last month because my laptop broke and I usually write all my blog posts on a laptop. Just because I find the desktop computer to be too distracting. It takes away from my writing so instead, I just stopped writing for a month. In a way, I suffered a lot because writing on here has been therapeutic for me, and helps me to sustain all my thoughts and emotions in written form. Without it was a bit like going back to the dark ages. 

It's good to be back in it. I got a new laptop and its quite nice. In other news, I've been performing solo acoustic guitar at open mics at the Sugar Mill Saloon. I do a lot of improvisation and jazz there. And I also plan on going back to rock and roll open mic jams at Petie's Place. I have plans on writing more fiction, working more on my somewhat finished but unfinished memoir, and more blogs on books, music, and such. 

Lay down all thoughts, surrender to the void, it is shining. -Tomorrow Never Knows-

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...