Saturday, June 20, 2015

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Street Fighter IV Ultra, and Other Cool Stuff



     The other day me and my friends hung out and naturally we ended up going to Gamestop on my suggestion. My original idea was to pick up Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for the new 3ds xl but I also had Street Fighter IV for Xbox360 in mind. My friend told me that the Ultra version is better and comes with like 44 characters in the game. I had to get it. We went back to my friends pad and played the game and it was super cool. It has a bunch of characters that I don't really know about but I can always learn more or play the arcade mode to get an idea of who and what kind of people the characters all are. Some of the characters look really cool and interesting. A lot of the female characters have sexy outfits too. I'm a beginner at fighting games so I tend to stick with Ryu, the original classic Street Fighter character. But I also love Chun-Li, she's pretty cool with her kicks of fury. There's literally so many characters to learn how to play, and thankfully the combo list is right within the game and easy to get to. I'm such a novice at fighting games but I really want to learn. Think about owning people online in Street Fighter, it would be amazing. But right now, I know if I tried to play online I would get annihilated.
     Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is a completely different kind of game. It's an action rpg but some of the stats and abilities you can get on gear make a lot more difference than say just upgrading your equipment for better defense or damage like in most rpgs. Today I played a lot with my brother, just doing easy star one quests, getting to level 6. It was pretty fun, probably the most fun I've had playing my 3ds since I got Super Smash Brothers. I'm tempted to try playing the game online right away but I don't want to completely suck and waste my time. So I'll learn more about the game and play solo and just do local play with my brother until I learn the game a bit more. There are so many different kinds of monsters, it's really crazy. There are so many bosses as well. The bosses are all tough motherfuckers man! In fact, out of all the quests me and my brother did today, we ended up only doing one boss fight and it was tough. Right now, I have my character, named Figuero (my name if I was a dark lord of the Sith) uses a 2-handed katana that does hella damage. It's a pretty good weapon but because its 2-handed its slow, but thankfully it hits hard. Interestingly enough, every time I watch streamers play this game on twitch, usually everyone in the party is using 2-handers. Maybe 2-handers are just the best weapons in the game? Not really sure but my brother is using a sickle and shield because with the shield you can block attacks. With a 2-hander you can't block unfortunately but you can still dodge roll to get out of the way of attacks. Another great thing about this game is the fact that its not just a great multiplayer game that you can play online on the 3ds. It also has a great single player campaign as well. There's actually stories and stuff and its such an old school style rpg that you actually have to read everything! I'm so used to just hearing the characters say stuff than reading. It is refreshing to actually read stuff in games again. Reminds me of when I was a kid, playing games like Final Fantasy and Xenogears, my two personal favorites from when I was young. I can see myself putting in a lot of time into Monster Hunter, especially once I start playing it online.
     During the same day I picked up those two games we also stopped at the local record shop. They have this deal where you buy 10 CD's you get a free CD that's $7.99 or less. My friend got Slayer's Reign in Blood so I was able to use that as credit for my 10th CD, thus earning myself a free CD. So I got this album by jazz guitarist Pat Metheny called Question and Answer, which I believe is an old Ornette Coleman song. The album features Dave Holland on bass and Roy Haynes on drums. Haven't listened to it yet but judging from the song titles like All The Things You Are and Question and Answer, this is more of a traditional jazz album.
     And lastly, if that wasn't enough we also went to Goodwill. We looked around and my friend got this Pokemon book that has information on tons of different Pokemon for 50 cents. I myself got a shirt with a cartoon looking guy playing bass, and it says jazz bass New Orleans on it. In addition, I got an Angry Birds shirt. Both of these shirts were purple, the colour of swag. It was a fun day. As I walked into my house, my friends were blasting Slayer-Angel of Death. Good times man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...