Friday, August 7, 2015

Dragonball Z: Resurrection of Freiza

    

     Yesterday was an awesome day. For one thing I've had a super busy and exciting week. On Sunday my friend had a party at his place. And then I had some important official business that I had to do for work on Wednesday. But also on that same day me and my friends went to go see Dragonball Z: Resurrection of Freiza. It was awesome! It was the first time I ever saw a Dragonball Z movie in the theaters. Usually I just watch them online. The last one, Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods, I just saw online in Japanese before it came out in America. In comparison to BoG (Battle of the Gods), I would say that RoF (Resurrection of Freiza) is a lot more exciting and cooler. But for some reason I still prefer BoG because I think the language is better in Japanese, and I saw I saw in Japanese. The English voices in DBZ are what all the American fanboys are used to. However, I feel like sometimes the words and the sentences are better translated in English rather than being said in English. That's just how I prefer my anime. I am kind of elitist about this. I'm sure other people out there feel the same way about their anime. The one thing I hated was Freiza's voice in this movie. The Americans sometimes do very poor voices for anime characters. In this case I can't say that it's bad because its the classic American Freiza voice that we all know and love. But I just found it annoying. The voice for Freiza was at times high pitched and just hits my eardrums the wrong way. Everybody else sounded fine, especially Goku. However, Vegeta seemed to have a much deeper voice. I didn't mind it but I did notice it. Lets talk about the plot of this anime movie.
     Basically Freiza's in Hell being tormented in some childlike land with toys and fairies. He's been in Hell all this time after Goku's defeated Cell and Majinn Buu. Now, Freiza's henchmen suddenly decide that they should use the dragonballs on Earth to resurrect Freiza. When they make the wish Shenron (the dragon that grants wishes) tells them it is not wise because Freiza's body has been dismembered and cut up too much. They say to do it anyways and Freiza comes flying out of the sky in pieces. However, with the new technology that Freiza's henchmen have they are able to put together his dismembered body! Once Freiza's back to life he decides he's going to exact his revenge on Goku. He's comes up with a plan to train for four months. Why he thinks he can beat Goku after only training for four months is a major problem with the plot in this movie, because Goku has been training for years! Anyways, after Freiza trains he decides to attack Earth with a thousand of his men. Meanwhile, Goku and Vegeta are training with Whis on Lord Beerus's sleeping area. Whis is Lord Beerus's (God of Destruction, destroys planets for not having good food) caretaker. He was so fast that Goku and Vegeta together couldn't land a single blow on him. After their training was over Whis told Vegeta that he needs to relax more. And he told Goku that he relaxes too much. While that's happening there's a big battle on Earth. Piccolo, Gohan, Tien, Master Roshi, Krillin, and an Intergalactic Spacecop alien are fighting the thousand Freiza troops. They are all really weak so this is where the classic DBZ fighters shine. I really liked it when Master Roshi was all like,"All right. Let's do this!" and he powered up, getting extremely bulky and strong, reminding me of how Goku looked when he was first fighting Vegeta. My other favorite moment of the movie was when Master Roshi was using Kamehameha against Freiza's henchmen. That was pretty epic seeing as how we hardly got to see Master Roshi fight in classic DBZ. Finally, Goku and Vegeta get Bulma's distress call and Goku instant transmissions to Earth, ready to confront Freiza.
     Freiza is all cocky and challenges Goku to a straight-up fight. Freiza says that he's going to transform into his final form right from the start. He powers up and he's his classic white and purple skinny super fast form from classic DBZ. Goku punches him around like a rag-doll easily. After a while Freiza says that he's been holding back and transforms into a newer, kind of more lame (in my opinion) form. In this new form Freiza is golden, which looks hella lame. But he's like way more powerful in this form now. Him and Goku continue to fight but he's still not quite strong enough to damage Goku. So after a while he says he's done and that he quits. Goku, being who he is accepts this but a split second later Freiza's commander shoots his ray gun at Goku, and Goku's lying on the ground, his hair going from blonde to black. However, he isn't dead yet because Krillin gives him a Sensu bean and all of a sudden he's back up and walking. Freiza made a funny comment about how they had some kind of 'wonder drug'. Oh, and by the way Goku was fighting Freiza in Super Sayian God form, which he learned from the BoG movie. So now Vegeta is up to bat. He punishes Freiza easily. However, Freiza decides he's going to kill himself, as well as everyone on Earth, and the entire planet! Lord Beerus and Whis (who have been watching the fight w/ the Z fighters) put them all in a protective barrier and they watch as the planet explodes. Lord Beerus mentions that Freiza can survive in Space after being blown apart (somehow but I didn't get why, maybe its because of his race), so he calls what Freiza did a cheap blow but rather ingenious. Whis tells Goku that he can go back in time three minutes and Goku can just kill Freiza, thus preventing the Earth from being destroyed. So they go through with it and when they're back Goku just annihilates Freiza with a Kamehameha wave. Very nice!
     Lastly, I thought that ending was rather cheesy. They could've just had to re-fight Freiza on another planet and used the dragonballs on another planet to restore the Earth and all the people who died, but that would've made for a much longer movie. I believe this movie ran around one hour and forty-five minutes, something like that. So yeah, that's the gist of the movie. I really enjoyed the fight against Freiza's minions because they were weak and the other Z fighters looked extremely strong against them. I enjoyed seeing the other Z fighters getting in the fight. Also, it was cool seeing Vegeta go Super Sayian God against Freiza. Vegeta usually doesn't get as much airtime as Goku so it was cool seeing him absolutely destroy Freiza in some cool attacks. Also, it was cool seeing this movie in the theaters because I was sitting next to a young dad who was there with his kids and his wife. The kids were so excited about the movie and the characters, it was cool seeing kids excited about characters like Goku and Vegeta. DBZ was a big part of my childhood too so I could relate. The dad even talked to me a bit about DBZ and how he likes anime and stuff. At the end he even shook my hand and told me to have a good night. It was pretty cool. Later that night when I got home I watched the final episodes of Dragonball GT. If I had to say which is better: GT or this movie, I would have to say that I like GT more. I know most DBZ fans hate GT but I actually love it. Not more than classic DBZ but it does have a special place in my heart now (haha). Anyways, I would interested in seeing this movie again but in Japanese just to hear the difference in voices. This movie won't be in theaters very long so try to go see it soon. Otherwise you'll have to wait to see it online somewhere. It's probably out online in Japanese as I'm currently writing this, look for it if you want to see it. I highly recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...