Saturday, January 9, 2016

Undefeated in For Glory

     Today was a hard day at work. But its all good. Where would I be without work? I wouldn't have all this money and all this cool stuff. Anyways, today was awesome. I played Smash 4 after not playing for like a day or two and I went undefeated on For Glory for around 25-30 matches, something like that. It was insane! I've never played that well in friendlies or at a tournament. I might be getting a lot better especially because I was using like every character-not just sticking to my mains (Zero Suit Samus, Veria Suit Samus). I found out that I'm pretty good with the other characters when I play them and that maybe I'm focusing a little too hard just trying to be great with just Zero Suit Samus. I'm also pretty good with Diddy Kong and I was playing well with Ness too. I played a couple different people but some of them stood out. One guy played Greninja and his strategy was to run away from all me and try to counter me. He hit me a lot but he could never do more damage by just countering me than I was doing comboing all over him. Then the same guy played Sonic and he just ran around the stage and whenever I missed hitting him he would punish with upsmash. Pretty basic stuff. He only stood out because he was sticking to one particular strategy with those two characters. Everybody else was playing standard For Glory style, a lot of rolling and forward smash attacks to punish. I feel like even though I felt great going undefeated, I know it doesn't really mean much because For Glory players aren't very good. In one sense I get this and acknowledge it. But on the other hand, I have come across some great For Glory players that whoop my ass almost as bad as people at tournaments. So I guess its tomatoes and potatoes, if you know what I mean. A better example would be apples and oranges. I do think For Glory takes skill if the other guy is way better than you and you somehow pull off a win. Although you could say that you won out of lag, the real conclusion to me would be that you learned their playstyle and adapted to it in a harsh environment (lag) and managed to be the victor. Which takes a lot of skill in my opinion!
     I feel like I've been getting better and better at Smash. One of the things I have to do is work on my combos. I've got to learn how to string all my attacks together rather than just getting a few hits in here and there. So I'm going to lab it up in training mode and come up with combos. There are a bunch for Zero Suit Samus that everybody knows but I haven't really tried them because they seem a bit out of my league. I still consider myself kind of a beginner, only having played the Wii U version since September 25th. But I guess that's no excuse that I didn't 'git gud'. I'm going to git gud soon. It's part of my New Years plans to work on become a real heavy hitter in Smash, at least at the local tournament I go. Playing online isn't ideal because of lag (crappy Nintendo servers) but I don't have a lot of options because I work nights and all the tournaments are in the afternoons when I'm just starting work. The struggle is real. Work is preventing me from becoming a champion Smash 4 player. But without work I wouldn't have even been able to buy a Wii U to play Smash 4. Everything goes full circle. Such is the wheel of fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...