Monday, February 29, 2016

FPS gaming event at Fire and Dice

     Today was the first time I've ever gone to Fire and Dice for an event that was not a Smash tournament. It turned out to be super fun! My friend recommended that we go because he saw that they were having an fps (first person shooter) gaming event on meetup.com. This is the first time I've ever gone to an event that was posted on meetup and it turned out to be a pleasant experience.
     We got there around 4:30 pm (it started at 4) and there was only like five dudes there plus the three guys who run Fad. We started things out by playing some Call of Duty Black Ops II, a super good game that I've played quite a bit despite not really being much of a first person shooter fan. We played zombies and it turned out to be pretty lame. We only lasted 8 rounds lol. Not sure how that happened but once we started playing four player free for all that was when the real fun started. Because there was so few people we all got our own monitor and xbox 360 to play on, and we just played in a local lan connection game. I really shine in Black Ops II because of the Mtar, a super good assault rifle that I annihilate with. My friend won the first game by a couple kills but I wasn't far behind. I think he won again the second time. The third time I tied the game with him. And the last match we played I won by a good couple kills. It was truly satisfying defeating my friend and these random dudes I just met because my friend is a super good fps gamer that destroys most people at shooters. He's the kind of guy who's born to play shooters. He should play Call of Duty, Counter Strike, or Team Fortress 2 competitively for money, he's that good. He was once a part of a competitive Team Fortress 2 team but he's no longer doing it for some reason
     After we played Call of Duty me and my friend threw down for a large pizza with one of the guys and we ate. Not the best pizza in the world but it certainly filled our stomachs. Then we played Gears of War III horde mode. It was kind of exhausting because unending hordes of monsters isn't really my thing but in the end it turned out to be pretty fun. It was the second time I've ever played Gears of War III and I don't think I quite get the duck and cover mechanics the game has to offer. However, we were only playing on casual mode which was pretty easy. Starting around the 26th round things started to get increasingly more difficult. Keep in mind that there are only 50 rounds in total. In the end we only made up to the 30th round, which had a boss fight. At that point I was very tired and disoriented from playing so much xbox that I wasn't really trying. But it was a good experience and my first time playing horde mode on Gears.
     Later, we went to my friends house and played the Overwatch beta. I find Overwatch to be very energetic and in your face but its also kind of a cluster-fuck if you don't know what the heroes do and how to play them. I'll have to play more of it at my friends pad when we hang out. I really like the game and the whole idea of heroes having their own special abilities and ways to play. That differs heavily from other shooters except maybe Team Fortress 2, which created that idea in fps gaming. We can see today that Call of Duty tried to do something similar in Black Ops III but I don't think they pulled it off very well. It's just another generic Call of Duty really.
     Lastly, playing so well in CoD today made me realize that I'm pretty good at shooters. I should play them more often on PC. I'm interested in playing more Team Fortress 2 for sure because my friend still plays that a lot. In fact, we used to play it a lot while talking on our headsets. Also, my brother is in the beta for Overwatch so hopefully he'll let me use his account to play it. First person shooters can be a blast sometimes. It was a good day off from work! If Fire and Dice continues to do more events like this I would definitely be down to go if I'm free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...