Wednesday, March 30, 2016

More Vacation Stuff

   
     Just thought I'd write a bit more while on this great vacation. Things couldn't be going any better. Every morning we're going out on the beach and going for nice walks. The house is right on the ocean and the weather has been amazing. The first night we got here it was super cold and windy but now things have seemed to stabilize. These resort towns are pretty cool. There are all these antique shops with old instruments and stuff. I saw a clarinet, violin, flute, and lots of cool guitars. In fact, today we went to this guitar shop in a neighboring town. I walked in and saw a bunch of old geezers but the place itself was pretty nice.
     There was a big stage right in the middle of the shop, presumably for concerts. There was a drum set onstage as well as a microphone and tons of cables all over the place. The store itself didn't have anything spectacular when it came to guitars and basses. It was all mostly secondhand stuff but I did play this great red Joe Satriani signature model, it was so rad! The guitar itself was secondhand but when I plugged it into this solid state Albion amp it sounded great.
     I started by playing a few jazz chords and progressions and it responded beautifully. Surprisingly, it had a great throaty guttural tone for jazz as well as blues. I had a blast playing chords on it and playing a ton of my signature licks. Keep in mind that I haven't really picked up and played the guitar seriously for like a month so going in I didn't think I was even going to play a guitar today.
     However, the owner was so nice and generous that I had to. He was practically begging me to play on his stuff. He asked me if I was looking for anything in particular and when I said I was just browsing he told me that I could play anything in the store. What a guy! The funny thing is that later I went to a coffee shop and told the barista girl about the guitar shop and he said the owner didn't care about the customers XD. Anyways, once I played a few minor 7th chords into a few dominant 9ths I was back in business baby!
     My guitar playing definitely has changed after not playing for so long. I feel like I don't hit as many notes, partly because some of my technical aspects are lacking from not practicing but my melody and sense of original style stands out more if that makes sense. It's like riding a bike. Even though I haven't been bike riding in like five years I still know how to ride. I felt like the playing today at this guitar storefront kinda reinvigorated my playing. Once I get back home I'm definitely gonna start playing more guitar again, and maybe after a while try to form a band, finding members via the internet. My main thing has always been free jazz but I'm still into straight ahead stuff as well. I feel like I could go far if I had a band and started playing shows and stuff. Goals!
     The other thing we've been doing a lot is watching a lot of anime, Netflix, and movies via the Wii U. I'm glad that I brought it along. It has turned out to be great entertainment late at night when we're not out on the beach or sitting on the porch with the fire pit going.
     Anyways, I felt inspired to do a post because of the guitar shop. It was the best part of the vacation for me so far, although there have been other great moments so far like when I won against my bros in three player Magic the Gathering using a swamp and mountain deck, walks on the beach, and this amazing seafood dinner at this place called Dorn's. The dinner was so delicious! I got a seafood combination which came with fried calamari, squid, fish, scallops, and fries. It was a memorable meal that's for sure. Hope to have more memorable moments on the rest of this trip. We're going to be here for one last night then we're hotel bound for a day, and then we'll be back home. I can't wait to get back to work and earn some good paychecks. I miss my friends at work and my main friends too. It'll be great to be home again. Hope you're all enjoying your school spring breaks or if you're a working stiff like me I hope work has kept you fully engaged and fulfilled. Thanks for reading, catch ya later!


No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...