Saturday, April 23, 2016

Guitar, Music, Prince

     Let me start off first by saying its good to be back writing after not writing since the 16th. For me that's a long break. I was going to bed earlier and because I only write at night, work on the blog just wasn't getting done. Back to bidness as usual as they say.
     Lately things have been going great. I've been hanging out w/ friends, playing a lot of smash, and I even took up playing Yugioh again. I haven't played Yugioh since I was in middle school. Its a great game but there's not much complexity to it and a lot of the cards are super overpowered. Basically its the opposite of Magic the Gathering but I still like it. I bought myself a cyber dragon starter deck and I've had a lot of fun playing against my friends. We're just a couple of grown ass men playing Yugioh. Straight up nerds XD.
     In addition, I've been keeping up with anime. I started watching Yugioh GX which is the second Yugioh saga of the series. I think there's like two other series of that that are more recent. I just wanted to say that even though I love Facebook and social media I'm beginning to get bored by the feed and all the lame boring crap. I'm tired of the cat videos and the stupid memes people post. I feel like even though I'm a blogger and I post about my posts and stuff, that my content isn't as lame as that other stuff I see all the time haha. Even though everybody and their grandma is a blogger I feel like some blogs are super fake. Read a random blog post online and you'll see what I mean. Not very many real people out here. Anyways, what I really wanted to talk about was music related stuff.
     I've been getting back into practicing guitar. Today I even had a marathon session where I played for like 2-3 hours (w/ a break of course), I actually lost track of time because I was having so much fun. It was amazing! You know things are going great when every lick you play flows perfectly into the next. I didn't work on anything in particular or even play too much of any songs but I still had a blast. I just improvised in a free style. I've come to find that things sound really cool when I mix neo-classical metal shred licks with bebop and fusion lines. Its a nice little mix that sounds good on a clean toned guitar-mainly my Jackson, which has a super fast neck. I feel like if I just keep practicing a couple hours a day and organize my practice to work more on songs I would be on the right track. I haven't played or focused on the guitar for months now. A big part of it was the massive gaming time I was doing but I've learned how to balance it. "Time to tip the scales!" -Lucina
     In terms of listening music I've mostly been listening to a lot of rock and metal. But I'm still keeping up with some jazz as well. Saxophonist Henry Threadgill just got a Pulitzer Prize, so there's that. I'm a huge Threadgill fan so hearing him doing so good and getting recognized is great news. Even though I can't say I quite understand his music, Threadgill inspires me as a musician, peaking my intellectual avant-garde side of jazz being.
     Sad to say that Prince died. Although I haven't listened to much of Prince's catalog, just knowing how good he was as a guitar player makes his death a huge loss for the music community. He was one of the best rock and rollers of all time. His music went through other genres but I feel like he was Hendrix blues/rock guy at heart, especially when it came to his solos. My favorite memory of Prince was when I saw the George Harrison tribute concert on DVD and Prince played an amazing solo over While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Eric Clapton was once asked "what it was like being the best guitarist alive" and he said "I wouldn't know, ask Prince." 'Nuff said. Rest in peace Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...