Sunday, April 24, 2016

Staying creative in a fast paced mass media culture

     Today I was talking w/ a guy I know through my work about this topic. How does one stay creative in a the mass media culture that we're encapsulated in today? Sometimes it feels like the whole internet thing is nothing but lame jokes, cat videos, and funny memes but it didn't use to be that way. People used to not stare at their phones at dinner and they used to actually be smarter when they weren't staring at computer generated images all day.
     However, I feel like the internet is a good thing because you can reach out to literally anyone and everyone, or no one w/ whatever kind of content that you want. However, there are bad things about the internet. Like how you can waste a lot of fucking time online doing nothing, playing games, editing videos or art, reading emails, checking out Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. After you've been using the internet for a certain period of time you realize that there are no limits to what you can or can't do. Obviously you can't do certain things on the internet that are illegal but there are a lot of things you can do in general. Anyways, how does one stay creative in what I like to think of as the decline of Western civilization?
     I guess I'm not really sure because I'm part of this smartphone possessed generation myself even though I've never owned a smartphone and probably never will XD. I feel that listening to music and playing guitar makes me a creative artist in many respects. However, when I'm playing video games I do not think that's very creative artistically speaking. But there are artistic endeavors when people are making games. Jazz makes me focus on what's important in music. Not just the notes or the tune but the metaphysical sonic being of the music. When I'm playing the guitar I feel like a true artist. Nobody sounds like me and nobody ever will. It's a thing of beauty really and all musicians are this way.
     But yeah, part of me has one foot in this internet crazed phenomenon and the other foot is rooted in old traditions like music, hiking, walks, and going to the beach. Before I had a desktop computer I didn't use the internet that much because I had to walk to the library just to use it. And when I did go the library to use the computer all I did was watch YouTube videos of my favorite rock and jazz groups. It's always been music for me. It's the one true constant that will probably stay with me till I die. Ain't that a bitch.
     For other people staying creative might be writing blog posts, website articles, and news articles. Or going to a demanding job that utilizes all their potential. Or being a painter or sculptor. Or a great business man. The truth of the matter is that most people today aren't creative people. They aren't creators. They're consumers. Most of the people I've met in my entire life are consumers. But there's nothing wrong w/ that. Some people don't want to be creative, they're content being themselves. That's cool too but sometimes its good to step out of the cultural norm. Get your feet wet in the pool people. It's only water.
     There's so much more that could be said on this topic. But I feel like I've explained enough. Take care and stay fresh w/ a ph out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...