Monday, July 18, 2016

What's in your earbuds?


Lately I've been listening to a lot of stuff I've already heard.

I listened to the new Megadeth record Dystopia. This was something like the 3rd or 4th listen. I know the album really well by now and it still holds up well after multiple listens. The album gets tiring near the end but the beginning is a total head-banging metal-fest. The riffs remind me of old school Megadeth records from the 90's and the new members Chris Adler (drums) and Kiko Louriea (guitar) breathe new life into what seemed like a dying band. I'm not the biggest metal fan these days but this is an album I can recommend and say with full confidence that it's great.

Going with more metal I listened to a lot of Malmsteen the other night. Nothing in particular. Just his popular tunes. Something about Malmsteen keeps me coming back for more even though I feel like I've heard everything he can do on an electric guitar. I know all his tricks and scales but I don't get bored of it. He's a true guitar technician.

The other night I also listened to Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced again. Without a doubt one of the greatest rock albums of all time. This is one of those albums that got me into rock music as a teen. It's easy to see why. It's so good!

And then there's the general jazz stuff.

I listened to Frank Zappa's Hot Rats and Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch. Hot Rats is a record I've had since high school and Out to Lunch is a free-jazz masterpiece that I have on CD too. Also, I've been listening to Charlie Parker playlists on the daily. Gotta love Bird.

Lastly, I've been listening to some edm (electronic dance music). This includes Skrillex and Mosntercat mainly. Skrillex is very catchy with their beats and vocals. Sometimes I get so into the music that I bob my head so hard its like I'm headbanging. Monstercat is also great and I dig the way he allows for his music to be shared and used online for free. Not many musicians would do that. That's whats in my earbuds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...