Saturday, December 3, 2016

Season 3-Elo Hell or just the right spot?


Tonight I'd like to discuss Season 3 of Overwatch and the fact that a lot of people feel like they've been gypped when it comes to their Season 3 ranking.

First, I'd like to talk about my own personal experience. I played all my placement games yesterday and I won eight out of ten games. I somehow got placed into bronze league (scrub league) despite the fact that I was gold last season and silver in season 1. Now, I've seen plenty of videos that try to explain that Blizzard is purposely placing people lower than usual because last season too many players placed too high and into gold and platinum. But even after playing ten of some of my best competitive games ever I get bronze? You can bet I felt gypped.

But all is not lost. Earlier today I did a marathon session and went from 1250 to 1450 in a mere two-three hours. Forty-nine more points and I'll break into silver. I plan on doing that tomorrow morning but here's the kicker, I'm possibly stuck in elo hell.

What is elo hell you ask? "What it actually seems to mean is the level at which people feel they can't at all rely on their teammates. What they use it to mean is the level that they're better than but can't get out of "'cause of those baddies"." (Shinnyshin, League of Legends forums)

Basically I'm placed at a level where the players are so bad its very difficult to climb the ladder in solo queue. I've been playing solo queue since the launch of the game because I don't have many friends that play as often as I do. Thankfully, I was able to go up by some 200 points today because I'm a fantastic Lucio and Ana player. I had a lot of people friend me because I'm great at healing and they wanted me to play with them to ensure wins. This ended up helping me a lot because I found that its a lot easier to win games when you're working with people you know who have communication skills (always using a mic).

For example, part of the reason I won most of my games today was because I played Ana a lot and whenever I had my nanoboost I called it out on my mic and asked if anybody had their ultimates. I timed my nanoboost with dps and tank's ultimates and it resulted in teamwipes most of the time. Although Ana's nanoboost has gotten more difficult to setup it is still an effective teamwiping tool in the right hands.

The fact that I've been annihilating pretty easily seems to show that I'm a lot better than bronze. But because I'm in bronze I will probably lose more games because of elo hell. Part of me thinks this is what Blizzard wants in a way. They want us to think we're better than the rank they gave us as an incentive to keep playing more and climb the ladder to the highest spot you can. That's the point of having seasons, to challenge ourselves in this way during a specified period of time.

So is it really elo hell or is it just the right spot? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...