Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Musical ideas to work on and pontificate


So I thought I'd jot down some more musical ideas.

I would become the drummer for the potential punk/metal band that friends wanna start. I really like drums and I was even thinking about buying a kit some months ago but ended up not doing it. I was supposed to buy a drum machine but I haven't done that yet either. Even the drum machine would be great to keep time because we have a bass and two guitars already.

Start a project with my drummer friend. This guy seems to be super into music and perhaps hes dedicated as as drummer as well. I'm not quite sure but what I do know is that he travels to a lot of shows. I have no idea as to what his musical skill level is at but I am curious. I had this great idea for a two man band just me and him where I do vocals and play guitar, something like the Black Keys or the White Stripes.

Jam with another guitarist. I know a guy that I met through a mutual friend that wants to jam with me. I'm shooting for a jam with him on Wednesday. All I know is that he sings and plays a stratocaster but he said he's down to play some jazz standards when we jam. Should be interesting. That same night I'll probably go to the open jam this week.

Open jam night attendance. I should definitely attend the open jam this week. I've been missing them the last few weeks and I want to play out, perhaps even sing a song while playing guitar. I was thinking something like George Harrison's My Sweet Lord. Or another simple easy Beatles tune like Come Together. If not I am also down to just jam out.

Contact the bass player I was working with a few weeks ago. I was actually working with a talented bass player but it seems I haven't been able to contact him for weeks after we got together and jammed a few times. It's a shame because he's probably the best bass player I've ever played with. I'll continue trying to reach him but at this point it seems like he doesn't want to work together.

Work on and write original songs with lyrics. I have been working on songs. A non-musical friend of mine wrote three songs of a pretty dark nature and sent me the lyrics and he wanted me to add music to it. I've been edited the lyrics to make the songs make more sense and have some kind of theme to it. I'll probably be done editing those songs soon and I'll try putting music to it. Then I'll record it with myself doing the vocals.

Listen to new music. I was thinking I could write more original and cool sounding music if I learn more about pop music. I want to start listening to rappers, pop singers, even country and bluegrass, and more indie rock stuff.

Record original stuff and learn Ableton more. I've taken a bit of a break away from recording because me and the producer I was working with finished one song and then I'm going to finish a short guitar solo for this other tune than I'm going to be done working with him. I was doing it all at night and I realized I'm not really at my best playing guitar and recording at night, especially because sometimes my dad is listening to other music or watching the news around that time. Trying to figure out good times to record during the afternoon but lately I'm either hanging out with friends or at work. Should be back at it soon though. I've still been practicing a lot of guitar everyday.

Play more acoustic guitar. Lately I've been getting into more acoustic guitar playing. Maybe further down the road I'll even buy an acoustic electric guitar. So much to do, so little time and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...