Thursday, June 21, 2018

Summer Reading



I've been reading a lot lately. This entire month has been full of chapter and verse. Honestly I've just been trying to read as much as I can from a wide variety of subjects from science fiction, fantasy, the news, political science, philosophy, and classics. Here's some of the books I've been checking out. 

Thomas Hobbes Leviathan 
This book was recommended to me by Dad. It was written in the late 1600s so the prose is quite different from what I'm used to. Its political science philosophy sort of stuff. I've already finished the first book (its made of several books put together) and I have to say that Hobbes had some interesting ideas about well, everything. 

Marx and Engels the Communist Manifesto
This book opened my eyes to what the modern day Proletariat is all about. I have to go back and read certain sections, it was that good. 

Frank Herbert Dune
I saw the movie first before I finished the book (I'm almost done with it) but the book is quite a stunning science fiction epic. 

Ursuala K Leguin Tales from Earthsea
This was my first fantasy novel I've read since middle school with The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. This is way better than Harry Potter of course! 

William Gibson Burning Chrome
I'm almost done with Gibson's short story collection. I've learned a lot about science fiction short story writing from his great cyberpunk stories. 

Washingtonpost, NyTimes, The Guardian, BBC World News, Newyorker
Politics has become a big thing for me as of late. When I was ignorant I used to laugh at everything Trump did, and think that it didn't matter. When I realized I was wrong and stupid I changed my ways.  

Wired
I read a lot about Silicon Valley and the tech industry. Part of my interest for this came from pc gaming. From there I read Jaron Lanier's two books and didn't look back. 

W.E.B. Du Bois The Souls of Black Folk
I'm really into archaic prose and this is no exception. Not only is it exciting to read a black scholar's work from the late 1800's, I can relate to some of this stuff as a modern day black man. As my brother Robert said when I told him I bought the book for 50 cents,"I thought you weren't into that black stuff." 

I'm reading so much now that its hard to keep track of it all and I have to constantly manage my subscriptions from the library. I'm learning a lot and having fun doing it. 

"I find your lack of obsession with books disturbing."

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...