Thursday, December 24, 2020

Merry Christmas! [Eve]

Greetings everyone, 

It's the holiday season. Christmas is here in eight hours. I've already an enjoyable day. I woke up early around 10 am and went for a walk. I proceeded to come home and play the acoustic guitar on my balcony. Then I played some overwatch and started reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, a very good book! I've decided to take some time to write another work/life update regarding the holiday season and covid. 

The market has been tough this holiday season. The morale of the workers' is the lowest it's ever been in my eight year career. Employees are getting fed up and some of them have quit and/or gotten fired. There's been another one or two isolated incidents of covid but it hasn't spread, or at least, we haven't been told that it's spread. Disconcerting to say the least. 

As regard to my health, I get my temperature checked daily by my father [although the managers at the store should be checking employee temperatures as well but they aren't doing it] and I've never had too high a temperature nor developed any covid symptoms. I guess I should count my blessings. Some of my friends weren't so lucky. Especially the ones that work in retail and/or warehouse work and management. 

My whole goal when going into work now is too completely relax and not overreact to anything or anyone. It's sort of like a Zen mediation attitude to working retail. Every bad interaction can be cancelled out by realizing that there is neither praise nor blame attached. The things the Buddha taught.  

The customers at my store this year have been very tough on the workers. I've had a lot of complaints from customers simply because I'm an employee standing near them. They want to complain to the store director or supervisor but they're also content to let out their anger on just any old employee, that may or may not help them as a response. To be alive in the bitter sea. 

In terms of my music and keyboard playing I'm still at it very often. I've also been reading a lot too. In a short period I've read Plato's Republic, Writings by Aristotle, Ovid's Metamorphosis, War and Peace, and this book about Johannes Kepler called Kepler by John Banville, the best living writer from Ireland. In addition, I have a couple heroes of the storm pc game teams that I play with, and I still play overwatch and team fortress 2. I've even been studying Spanish for a month now. All in a day's work! 

I've been working so much yet somehow I'm still getting a lot done in all my free time. My favorite new activity has been going out on long morning walks and even night walks. During the day, I like to go to the park and read a book sitting on the bench in front of the duck pond. Sometimes I get up and stare at the shimmer of the water's reflection, the shimmer staring back at me. 

Merry Christmas 

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...