Saturday, February 13, 2021

Lord of Light

Lord of Light is a terrific science fiction novel written by Roger Zelazny. It was awarded the 1968 Hugo Award for Best Novel. It is was easy to see why this novel won the Nebula Award in 1968. Why? 

Because shock and awe. 

What can I say? This is one of the best science fiction novels I've read in a while [over 6 months], and if you take a look at my reading list [look here] you can tell that I've read a lot of really great science fiction. Although I've read a lot of the science fiction golden age canon, I must add that there's still a lot of great science fiction writers I haven't read. 

Moving on, the idea of gods, Buddhism, Hinduism, was known to me through hippy rock and roll and the flower power generation, even Frank Zappa says in a song, "a book of Indian lore." Keep in mind that I've also read the Bhagavad Gita and a primer on Buddhism entitled What the Buddha Taught, written by a Buddhist monk. But you don't have to know any of that to actually appreciate this book and that's the brilliance of it. However, I will say that known those two other books helps give me somewhat more of an understanding regarding these religious doctrines. Knowing about actual Buddhist parables gave me a much greater appreciation for this book. Having read the Bhagavad Gita, you can clearly see that the Hindu gods and their actions aren't entirely based on imagination. 

I fancy myself as some sort of zen master type. I tap into it quite often as a way to help me get through my day. Seeing our main character, Sam, as a Buddha but without having him actually proclaiming to be a Buddha, or even a god, or even a lesser god, although we still aren't sure what he is, that is something exactly like a real Buddha would do! It's brilliant. Why? Because its simple, it works, and it stays true to how we perceive gods and or prophet-god. The idea of Sam taking over all the godly order, there's a Luciferian catch to it, but the way the book is written, he's nothing like the Bible's Lucifer, nor even Milton's Lucifer, who is a lot more endearing in a sense than the Biblical version. Although the story is all over the place and the fight scenes are mostly just cinematic metaphors with thunder and lightning, the story makes sense until almost the complete end around the 230 page mark, where things go all over the place. But that's okay. I'll forgive Zelazny because it's fun. 

Zelazny is a stylist. Here the book turns out amazing not because the idea is great, unique, or original, rather it is because it is written in Zelazny's true voice, or original style as I will call it here, and because the writing is simply put, shock and awe. The idea of a science fiction novel in 1968 that's inspired by Hindu and Buddhist ideas from the East was probably a novel idea at the time, but it isn't so original these days. If this book was written in the modern era it would have a completely different effect on the audience, the reader. Because ideas were still new back then, and because it is precisely because its original that it doesn't matter if a lot of it doesn't make sense. Why? Because the way its written, the style, it just works.

A lot of the fight scenes between the gods make no sense. But it doesn't have to. Such is the nature of the gods. Long live the Lord of Light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...