Sunday, November 29, 2015

Thanksgiving-Battlefront III-Legacy of the Void



     So Thanksgiving was just on Thursday, it was a great celebration with me and my folks. I hope it was a great experience for you all as well. I did work on Thanksgiving but thankfully it was only for a good four hours and then I was the hell outta there! Haha, but seriously, it sucks working on Holidays and I'm going to try to get off on Christmas and New Years. Check out that cool anime Starwars pic I found online, it's pretty cool. The idea of a female Jedi taking on Vader just gives me nerd chills man! Anyways, so work was aight and when I got home I just relaxed and played a few games and waited for dinner. Dinner was good. We had our "traditional" Chinese turkey that we get from a Chinese restaurant called A&W Seafood down on Reseda. It's a great place and they do a great job with turkey, cooking it in a way different style than the really really overly dry American way of cooking turkey for Thanksgiving. I really can't eat a traditional American style turkey anymore because this Chinese turkey just tastes so much better!
     Later that night around 11 30-midnight me and two friends went out and got some cool stuff for Black Friday. We ended up going to my old job-Fry's Electronics and Best Buy. We bought some stuff at Fry's. My friend got the Wii U bundle that comes with Splatoon and Smash 4 for $249. I got Starwars Battlefront III for $60. And my other friend got this fighting game arcade stick that was retailed $170 online on Amazon and stuff for only $30 because Fry's put it in the wrong spot on the floor so when they said it was $170 he showed them that there was like ten of them in a spot with a price tag of $30, and he was able to get it for that price because Fry's mislabeled and put their stuff in the wrong spots. He even said that the women helping him out was a little ticked off that he said that it was only $30 not $170. I feel like in a way he bamboozled Fry's but hey Fry's is at fault because they mislabeled their shit and put it in the wrong spot, misleading customers. I used to work at Fry's and I talked to a couple of my old friends, acquaintances, and employees. It was cool. It was good to see them still doing the same thing they were doing 2 years ago. I like when people have longevity in hobbies and work.
     I didn't play Battlefront III until the next day after it installed (took a while, even on my monster PC). But when I did get to playing it I couldn't help but feel that this game is just a Battlefield game with a Starwars skin. Don't get me wrong, the graphics and visuals in this game are stunning, especially on the PC version. But the game-play is simple, with mostly firing from the hip being the best way to shoot. All the guns look and fire the same red lasers, although at a different fire-rate. The game is so easy to play that I don't think it takes much skill to be great. I think Call of Duty or Halo is much harder to be great at than this game. I guess the first word that comes to mind when I think of Battlefront III is shallow. There's no campaign so there's no real story or point to all the fighting you're doing, its just mindless killing and shooting. I don't care about playing some no name rebel or empire trooper. I care about the actual characters from the movies, and possibly new characters that could have been created in this game. I wanted to return the game but I'm stick with it because I bought it at Fry's, and you can't return a game you already opened. And you can't return it through Origin because I didn't buy it online. I have two options. Never play this game again, or give it another shot, trying out more of the game modes that the game has to offer. If I had to rate this game based on what I've seen and played so far, I would give it a hard 7 out of 10, mostly just because of the visuals. The music is terrible and the game modes seem to get boring because there's only a small handful of maps. Also, they make you pay an additional $50 for dlc content that includes more maps and game modes. Thankfully, because I bought it at Fry's it actually came with the dlc somehow. Casual gamers will love this game because of how simple and easy it is to play. But for the hardcore fps guys, this game won't cut it for them.
     On Friday, other than trying out Battlefront, I beat the Starcraft II Legacy of the Void campaign. All I can say is 'my life for aiur!' It was a great ending to an epic space opera. The ending was a little cheesy with the chtulu like creature being the Xel Naga and it giving all its energy to Kerrigan, and she turned into this angelic-like being that was suddenly strong enough to kill Amon, a dark god that was the game's endgame villain. I enjoyed the campaign thoroughly and tried to get all the achievements. I think I'm at something like 50% achievements, which ain't good but it ain't bad either! I've always been more of multiplayer Starcraft player, I never even beat the original Starcraft or Broodwar campaigns. I heard those weren't that great anyways. What awaits me now for Starcraft is the Legacy of the Void multiplayer experience. I haven't gotten ranked or played any matches but I feel like Terran might be really weak in Legacy and I'm not sure if I'm ready to play a turtle race like Terran when Protoss and Zerg have such cool new units. So when I start playing multiplayer I might switch back to Zerg, which was my original race going back to Broodwar in middle school. I only switched to Terran at the end of Wings of Liberty because the guys in my clan on battlenet said it was the easiest race I could play with minimal micro and still do pretty well. I feel like they've been wrong but I actually fell in love with the Terrans, even though I don't consider myself a turtle-up kind of player. I'm more aggressive which maybe makes me feel like I'm more suited for Zerg. For the swarm!
     Music has been good as well. I've been practicing a bit, mainly trying to focus on playing songs rather than just improvising or learning chord voicings. I've really been listening to this guy Henry Threadgill, a great alto saxophonist, composer, and improviser. I really dig his new band called Zooid. All the cats I really dig and admire are sax players; people like Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, John Coltrane, Peter Brotzmann, etc. Even though I'm a guitar player, I'm a big sax guy. I might actually buy one someday. I had a buddy at work who was going to sell me his but its kind of been forgotten that I've mentioned it to him. I still want it. Maybe that'll be my Christmas gift to myself. Can you imagine me with a saxophone? Talk about bizarre.
     Its been good to get back to writing. It's been so long since the last post. I'll try to keep em coming, and get back to writing music stuff eventually. This blog was originally meant to only be for music but now its like a gaming blog. I play too many games, and eventually I'll have to stop because it gets in the way of guitar playing and playing music, my main love in life. But I digress. Peace out cub-scouts.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...