Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Nintendo Direct Hopes


     As all the Super Smash Bros 4 players know today is the big day for Nintendo's last video about updates given for Smash 4. Needless to say I'm hyped! Ever since I got Smash 4 on the Nintendo 3DS XL, I've loved Smash. Playing it with my friends when I first got it was the best time I've ever had playing a fighting game. And now I'm a competitive player and I go tournaments! Pretty crazy. I'm not the greatest player in the world but I'm okay and I can always become better with more practice. Everybody's super hyped about this last video about Smash. What we do know is that this is the final video presentation specifically about Smash. There's a chance there could be more videos but it won't be specifically about Smash. Like maybe Smash could be talked about while they're also talking about other games. I just read about that on Kotaku, a famous gaming site. In the last Nintendo Direct they announced at the very end that Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII was being added to the game. That's such a hype! I was so excited and weirded out that Cloud was being added to the game. I'm not quite sure but I believe he was a big vote for the Smash Ballot from Japan. And I think Japan has more sway over Smash because the Smash games were created by Sakurai, one of the greatest Japanese video-game makers ever. I'll tell you what I'm hoping for in the final Smash 4 presentation today.
     I'm hoping for more stages, possibly variations on older stages from Melee or 64. Looking forward to a Final Fantasy VII stage because of Cloud being in the game and all. I'm thinking they could do one stage where you're on top of the Shinra building. I'm also looking forward to more characters being announced, particularly the ones that got the most votes in the Smash Ballot. But the only character I'm wishing gets announced for sure is Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series. He's my favorite character in Brawl and Project M and I think he would be great in Smash 4 too. I'm also looking for some patch that changes the way Smash 4 is played. Smash 4 is too much of a defensive game. I'm hoping they come up with some new mechanic(s) that make the game more aggressive without having to rely on constantly jumping away and blocking all the time. That's really all I could hope they could do. It's not like they're going to bring back wavedashing or anything crazy like that. But I do believe they will patch the game at least one final time.
     Lastly, in a lot of ways I'm saddened that Nintendo would bring an end to this game. Ending updates to a game means that they will no longer be invested in this game in the long run. That's why I prefer PC games over consoles. At least on the PC, companies realize that in order to get people to buy the games, they have to keep them updated and always have new content. But on the other hand, with no more updates in Smash 4, the competitive community can finally concentrate and focus on what the actual game will be like because nothing new will be added and there won't be any new surprise patches that make and/or break characters. I remember when Luigi was super powerful. And when Diddy Kong just beat everybody's ass. Then Nintendo patched the game and they were weakened heavily. I think of Smash 4 as another game in the Smash canon. I believe there will be a Smash 5 on Nintendo's new NX system. And I'll probably be playing that as well. I don't really have high hopes for the Wii U. The only great game to come out of the Wii U is Smash 4 in my professional opinion. But for me that's all I need to recognize it as a great console. With Nintendo's President dead we have no real idea where the company will go with their new console but I hope they make it more of a powerful system, like the Xbox1 or PS4. But Nintendo always does their own thing so we'll have to wait and see. You can catch the final Smash video presentation on Nintendo's website today at 2 pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...