Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Smash 4 Final Presentation


      I was so hyped for this final Smash 4 video presentation. I got up around noon and waited until 2 PM, I was even on the Twitch stream early and the chat was going crazy even around 1 30 pm. What I can say is that I approve everything that I saw in the video today but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed that my boy Snake isn't going to be a dlc character. I was thinking they would add a whole bunch of characters, like the winners of the Smash ballot but I guess Sakurai did it right.
      Basically we learned that Smash 4 is getting some more updates and 2 new characters. We learned from the last Nintendo Direct that Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy was being added to the game. And today everybody downloaded him and now everybody and their grandma's are using Cloud online on For Glory. More on Cloud later. I figure they added Cloud because he was a popular vote from NA. But he wasn't the only character being added! They're adding the main character from Fire Emblem Fates, Corrin to the fight! He's a sword fighter who can turn into a dragon and has some pretty sick looking combos. He was a popular choice from Japan. Fire Emblem Fates has been out in Japan for a while now but it hasn't gotten an NA release yet so most of us NA people are like Corrin who? And lastly, Europe's biggest vote on the Smash ballot, we're getting Bayonetta! I am actually hyped for Bayonetta because her moves look sick. She looks so fast, maybe even faster than Sheik. Her combos look limitless with the improvisation you can do with it. I really like that gun of hers and how she can shoot with her feet. True demon stuff! Plus she's a new sexy waifu that will be added to Smash. Haha, but in all seriousness I think Corrin, Cloud, and especially Bayonetta will completely change the game. I think Bayonetta might be able to out combo Sheik, we'll have to wait and see.I downloaded Cloud, the Midgar stage, and some add-ons for like $10 today. Kind of a rip off Nintendo! The character alone should be like $3.99. But anyways, I got to downloaded the new update and Cloud and the Midgar stage. Here are my thoughts.
     Cloud is a great fighter but I don't think he will any significant impact on this game, especially at the competitive level. I don't think people are going to be busting out the buster sword at tournaments. I did happen to play a few good Clouds today online but they all play the same style online. Basically they were all dodging and avoiding all my attacks in an attempt to charge up their limit break and then try to hit me with it. Basic tactics. But if I hit them in a moment where there's an opening I can get in some combos. Some of them were pretty good too. I just don't see Cloud having an impact on this game at the tournament level. For casual play he'll be a great new addition to a game that already has plenty of fighters. I really dig the Midgar stage because of the classic Final Fantasy VII theme music from when you get into a battle. It's just that classic vibe. It would be cool to have Omega Midgar as a tournament stage, just for the music.
     At first, after I saw the 33 minute presentation, I was disappointed. As a huge fan of Smash and have only had a Wii U since September knowing there will be no new updates for Smash 4 makes me a bit sad. I don't know if there will be a Smash 5 and if there is, what can they really do it that hasn't already previously been done in earlier iterations? This leads me to believe that this is Nintendo's final Smash (get it?) game. The very thought of that makes me sad but I think this game will have a strong competitive scene for years to come. I also hope that the Wii U doesn't die too soon. I feel like Xenoblade Chronicles X and Bayonetta 2 breathed new life to the dying system recently. Nintendo needs some newer games to keep the Wii U alive. Right now there are only a few games worth getting just to have a Wii U and I would say they are Smash, Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Bayonetta 2. If Nintendo wants to survive they need to keep updating their current systems. I know they are already working on a new console called the NX but I still care about the Wii U. I know its been out since 2012 but you can teach an old dog new tricks. That's just my two cents on the subject. I actually didn't like Nintendo until I got a 3DS XL and Smash 4. Smash 4 changed competitive gaming for me. Before all I knew was online gaming on the PC. But now I go to Smash tournaments and I have a lot of fun and meet a lot of cool people. Smash has been, well, smashing! The Wii U has been a great system just because of Smash. It was worth every penny and all the hard work that I had to do to pay for it. Enjoy this game. Enjoy these new characters. I can't wait until February when Corrin and Bayonetta get added.
     Lastly, I can't really be disappointed with all this great news. It's a great finale to an amazing fighting game. Who would think we would have a game where Ryu, Sonic, Megaman, Bayonetta, and Pac Man could duke it out in a fight? It's a dream come true for gamers. Thank you Masahiro Sakurai! He's made a masterpiece that will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...