Thursday, January 14, 2016

Apocalyptic Wasteland

     

      2015 was like the year of Fallout. Nobody expected Fallout 4 to come out so quickly as it did and become one of the best games of 2015. I got my brother Fallout 4 for Christmas but I didn't buy myself a copy, partly because I wasn't sure if it was my kind of game. I never played previous Fallouts but when I saw how much fun my brother and pretty much all the rest of the gaming community was having I decided to give Fallout a go. I've been told to start playing Fallout 3 first but I decided on my own that I was going to play through New Vegas first. No real logic behind it, its just that I thought New Vegas seemed cool. The idea of a Vegas-like town in a nuclear wasteland just seemed super fun. So New Vegas is my first entry to the series and so far its been great. 

     The graphics on New Vegas run on ultra high settings on my PC so it looks absolutely stunning. I run some mods on the game using Nexus Mod Manager as well. I've been playing a lot of open world games lately (Xenoblade Chronicles X, Skyrim, and New Vegas) and its been very rough getting into them. I've been putting in time and doing the quests and trying to get farther but I just seem to get lost in the huge open worlds, or just simply can't find the person I'm suppose to talk to. 

     In addition, the combat system in Fallout takes some getting used to. You can shoot in real time but I suck horribly shooting in first person like that. The VATS system of firing is more my style but you have action points so you can't just keep shooting forever in that mode. So you have to play both styles in a way. It's interesting, I think Fallout 3 was like one of the first games like that on the Xbox360 when it first came out. I would say the hardest thing about Fallout for me is the huge open world, getting around places in the map (which I find to be a crappy map system), and finding people and/or things you need for quests. 

     The actual gameplay of the game is very smooth and lets you play anyway you want. It's a flexible game when it comes to the gameplay. Its just going around and doing things that I find annoying. But I'll stick with it. I find it to be a relaxing game and I was at it for a long while today. I made some advancements in some side quests and in the main story quests. So its been good. I wish I could say the same for Xenoblade Chronicles X. In that game I'm just straight up lost and confused like the first day I played it still. There's no real tutorials in that game but thankfully there is a manual you can read in game. 

     The coolest thing about Fallout is just the environment and the stories that the characters tell. I think of it as a nuclear fallout western game complete with laser guns, super mutants, and power armor. It's just amazing. That's why everybody is playing Fallout 4 and why there are tons of people streaming it on Twitch. My plan is to eventually beat Fallout New Vegas and then play Fallout 3. Then eventually because I'm sharing my steam account play Fallout 4 when my brother isn't playing it. 

     Also, I spent a lot of time playing Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex online. Its becoming my favorite twitch shooter. I like it more than Call of Duty now. Its just so fast paced and action packed for a twitch shooter. I'm also pretty good at it surprisingly. And I've also been playing Team Fortress 2. I even hopped on and play a bit by myself. Usually I only end up playing Tf2 with my good friend. 

     On a side note, I'm going to a Smash tournament tomorrow. Genesis 3 is coming up so a lot of SoCal's best Smashers are going to be competing in that. It's like one of the biggest Smash tournaments in California and I guess this will be the third one. I'm just going to complete at a local, at this place called Fire and Dice. It's a great place and I've made a lot of good friends that are great Smash players. They've taught me so much about how to play better and I've made leaps and bounds in my playing ever since my first tournament there, which I wrote about in the blog sometime back. I'm going to go hard in the paint with Zero Suit Samus. If I lose my first round as her then I will try Veria Suit Samus. Hopefully this time around I can beat some people. Usually the people at these tournaments are very good, but I'm at a skill level now where I'm about even with them. Pretty much how I am versus people on For Glory. I'm generally better than most people, even with some, and then there are a few who just annihilate me lol. I'm always trying to improve at Smash 4. I have a strong commitment to the game and my friends and I play every-time we hang out. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...