Saturday, January 23, 2016

How I see For Glory

     For Glory is seen as a horrible thing in the Smash community. The main reason for this is that Nintendo's servers can be laggy at times. However, I've had some times where there was very little input lag and it was almost like I was playing against the other player in person. However, no matter how little the lag is, it will always be noticeable and different from fighting person in a lan (local area connection) context (in person). For those of you who don't know For Glory is the online mode in Super Smash Brothers for Wii U. I'm one of the few people that actually loves playing For Glory. Normally I don't play Smash 4 unless I'm with friends but today I decided to hop on and practice some unfamiliar characters on 2v2 For Glory and it was like I just couldn't stop playing. For Glory can be fun if you just bare with the negative aspects of it. Sometimes there are lag spikes that can change the momentum of battle, but it isn't always there.
     For Glory is great for me because I don't always get to make it to tournaments and practice in friendlies against people in person. Also, I can't always play wifi with my friends because I work different schedules from them. My last option is to just play For Glory. I always have players to play with and sometimes I get to face great players in 1v1 matches. One of the best players I've ever played against was a guy (a Ryu named Edwin) I played on For Glory and he actually let me train with him in a ton of matches and I learned a lot from those matches. I guess the best part of For Glory for me is that its endless and I can play anytime I want with no prearranged schedule like training right before a tourney or something. It's just great. Sometimes you end up playing some really good players and it surprises you. People are actually good on For Glory and I bet the Smash pros all play online. Another great thing is that nerves don't really get to you like how they do in a tournament setting. It's very relaxed and if you lose your matches, its all good because these are basically the same thing as friendlies. Although Smash 4 keeps a record of your wins and losses in a records tab, other players don't get to look at it and see how good you actually are. Smash 4 desperately needs a ranking system because sometimes you'll end up going against someone who is a complete beginner, which is rare because the game has been out for a long time. But yeah, there should definitely be some improvements on For Glory mode in the last updates in February.
     For starters, they should create a ranking system where high ranking players get to face off against equal opponents. Then, they should allow players to look at stats of players after the match real quick. That way they know if the player is someone good that they should keep playing, or just leave if they know they won't be able to put up a fight. Basically they should make For Glory like how real fighting games are. That's all I want for an online mode of Smash 4. Nothing fancy. Just something for our efforts for playing the game online. I don't know if you get anything really for winning in tournament mode because I've never even played tournament mode yet. Eventually I'll have to give that a try. I know that a lot of the pro players like to play that mode on streams a lot. So yeah, For Glory ain't all bad. Sometimes the lag is minimal and I have a great time tearing people apart online. It's great when you start beating someone badly in 1v1 and then they try playing their main over and over again, and always losing XD. It's a great time and I can turn it on anytime I want.
     In other news, I'm in the beta for this new first person moba (massive online battle arena) called Paragon. I downloaded it today so I wouldn't have to wait tomorrow because the beta is only going to be open from 6am-6pm. I've missed the first two beta tests just because I was out with friends but this time I'm focused on playing it. It looks stunning and it runs on Unreal Engine 4 engine. I feel like the future of gaming is Unreal Engine 4. Imagine young game creators today getting something like Unreal Engine 4 and just creating some of the best looking games that we've ever seen to date. That's the power of Unreal Engine 4. I'm expecting big things from Paragon, as its a super hyped up game at the moment. Its everywhere online and they want everyone to sign up for the beta. So look out for news about Paragon, it'll be interesting to see if it takes off in the gaming community. Lastly, I'd like to say that I'm going to keep up streaming but I noticed that my twitch page hasn't been getting any views even when I was streaming for multiple days in a row earlier this week. Knowing that makes me feel super discouraged but I'm going to keep it up. Stay updated on my twitter https://twitter.com/fig_land for when I'm live. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...