Friday, February 26, 2016

New Music IV

     I've been listening to a lot of classical music tonight to calm down. I find the natural sound of acoustic orchestral instruments to be very soothing in comparison to the electronic stuff I've been listening to lately. Right now I'm finishing up listening to Mozart's Symphony number 40 in G minor. Earlier tonight I was talking to a smash bros friend and he was telling me how some player listens to classical music while he plays to calm down. It really does do the trick! Classical music is so good too. The harmonies and melodies just seem to sound mathematically correct (like organized equations), especially this Baroque era stuff. Baroque is music from the 1700s. My favorite classical music has always been the Baroque era stuff. My go to composers are Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart, Handel, and Beethoven. They just seem to sound 'right', if that makes sense. Their music speaks to me in ways that jazz music doesn't. You can say its the instrumentation, the time that it was composed in, or just the straight up white European aspect of it. This music sounds like Radio Top 40 of the 1700s, its ear candy to me. It has a certain 'catchy-ness' to it and has repeated patterns, much like pop music or electronic music but the form is still complex with unique twists and changes. There was once a time where I left classical music playing in my room all the time, even when I wasn't there. It just sets the tone and atmosphere for me. I've been a hardcore classical listener before, listening to Wagner's Ring Cycle and Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Firebird. The whole tradition of this music is fantastic and still going to this day. It's good to hear this music. It truly is Europe's greatest musical tradition. Let me leave you with this tune by Albinoni Adagio in G Minor.  This shred metal guitarist Ywngie Malmsteen does a sick version of this tune with a Fender stratocaster and Marshall stacks. Here, we can enjoy the piece in its original form. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...