Thursday, June 16, 2016

One shot, one kill


Lately, I've been getting really into first person shooter games. I've always known they existed but I was never particularly interested in them. Like at all. Ever. Until recently. I heard about Overwatch coming out and I played a bit of the beta at my friends house. Because I couldn't play the beta at my house I instead turned to a free to play game called Team Fortress 2. That was the turning point.

Team Fortress 2 is a class based objective shooter similar to Overwatch (mostly just in aesthetics) except its been around since 2007. The game has a lot of history and a true legacy as a computer game on Steam. I used to play other fps's like Cod: Black Ops 1 and 2 back when I didn't have a computer and instead gamed on an Xbox360. However, I was never really that great and never put in the time or practice to get better because I wasn't playing it because I enjoyed it. I played it because I had a lot of friends online that played. And boy were they good! 360 no-scope headshots all day. They were great players.

Anyways, so I've tried a lot of different fps's but none of them really clicked for me until I played Team Fortress. Something about the game just draws me in to play more. Not to win games or to be the best. But to improve at the game and know that I've gotten better. Skill shots and stuff like that are all apart of it but the satisfaction comes with knowing that you've improved by leaps and bounds.

I started out playing the medic just like how I started playing Overwatch, using the support healers but now I've moved on to playing snipers. In Overwatch I favor Hanzo's bow and arrows over Widowmaker's sniper rifle. In Tf2 you can also use a bow and arrow. Boy, is that thing fun! It's a blast getting insta-kill headshots with the bow. The sniper rifle is fun too but I like the pull and release of the bow, there's something realistic about it even though I'm just hitting a keyboard and maneuvering with a mouse. It has some real weight to it if that makes sense. The same thing could be said for Hanzo in Overwatch. He's a powerhouse character who seems unstoppable if left unchecked. Usually the other team must have a Widowmaker or another Hanzo just to deal with him. Part of the fun of playing snipers is sniping other snipers. It's a real treat that never gets old. Sometimes its a race of who shoots who when the other guy is reloading. Good times.

Now that I've dived in headfirst into the fps gaming pool I'm starting to play other shooters that I've owned but neglected because I wasn't too into the genre before. I've even started playing Counter Strike: Global Offensive, another great fps made by Valve,the guys who made Tf2. I'm interested in giving some of the other fps's I own on computer another shot. Games like Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex First Assault, and single player games with an emphasis on shooting. Games like Half Life, Bioshock, Deadspace, Skyrim ('cuz of the bow), and Fallout all look super appealing to me now. Time to finally start playing all those Steam titles that I haven't touched yet or just haven't played all that much.

It's been a real treat playing sniper. It's definitely more my play style than going in the middle of the fight. I'm more of a chill guy who lays low in the back. Not quite camping but not rushing into the thick of it either. If you never particularly liked fps games perhaps you should give them another shot. Maybe you just need to find the right one. They are definitely worth it for all the fun and satisfaction. One question I'd like to ask is are we in a new era of fps games? It seems so. I like the sound of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...