Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Overwatch Competitve Season 3 ending tomorrow


So the current Overwatch competitive season ends tomorrow. For everyone that doesn't know Overwatch has a competitive ranking system that begins and ends within a certain period. Then there's a break, and it resumes once again in about a 3-4 month cycle. I don't know how long the off season break will be but I believe Jeff Kaplan (director of Overwatch) said in a video that this time it would only be about a week long.

There's so much to say about this last competitive season. I'm super disappointed that I couldn't rise above and break out of my low rank (silver) into higher (was hoping for platinum, would've even settled for gold) ranks. In the beginning of the season I met some cool people and there was a time when I was only about 200 points away from gold-but then gold got snatched away from me. The trolls, the leavers, and the generally just bad players kept me from winning many games but honestly I can't blame it all on them. I played poorly myself. And for that I only have myself to blame.

One thing I'm planning for the next competitive season is only playing with certain people for competitive. I'm not going to play with my friends that barely play Overwatch (therefore aren't good enough in my opinion, too risky to risk losing ranking points), and I'm going to stick to small groups (think 2-3 man parties instead of full 6 stacks). When I stuck to 2-3 man parties I was able to win a lot and rank up fast. I want to continue that strategy.

I have a goal for the next season to hit gold super fast if I don't get it within my placements. My long term (and more extreme) goal is to be able to win most of my games in solo queue playing healers (Mercy, Ana mainly). This is a super difficult goal and it might take me over a year but I want to be able to do it. I don't consider people good at Overwatch unless they can win most of their games in competitive in solo queue in their most picked role (damage, tank, healer).

Competitive has given Overwatch the competitive edge that other games don't have. I adore Team Fortress 2 but competitive in that game is just bad. It's breathed new life into competitive gaming for me and it's given me more confidence when it comes to one-upping people and just general rivalry. I'm a super cocky son of a bitch now. Haha, just kidding. But the game will give you a stronger backbone once you're done dealing with the trolls and the testosterone filled cockiness. I'll be spending the off season time practicing my Zenyatta in Quick Play.

Good luck and see you next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...