Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Remembering MLK

     
      So today was MLK day and a lot of businesses and office buildings were closed or closed early. I didn't get to reflect on today until I got home from work just now. I have to say that MLK did a lot for America, and I wouldn't be where I am today without all the work that he did. At the same time though, I feel like black people have the short end of the stick compared to white people and even other races. I work in a public place and I have had attacks on my dignity because of my race. I never really do anything about it or tell my bosses because I just shrug it off and get on with my day. That's just the kind of person I am. Moving on though, MLK brought all these problems regarding race and even the Vietnam War into the mass media culture, and with his non-violence strategy he changed America. When the Voting Rights Act of 1965 was passed MLK was there with Rosa Parks. They changed America and American history for that matter. MLK is a true American hero.
     As I look back on this day I think about all the progress that black people have made in America. Its astounding really. Barack Obama became President! Who would have thought in a million years that America would've had a black President? Things have definitely improved for 'us' but I can't help but think about our future. We have a growing minority class in America and pretty soon whites will be outnumbered by minorities. It's interesting and I definitely think America will be changed by the time I'm in my thirties-forties. At the same time, we also have to look at the police brutality that seems to have taken over America. There were stories about black people and even kids getting slaughtered by police officers during pretty much all of 2015. It was truly fucked up how many blacks were getting killed, sometimes when they weren't even engaging the officers in a violent way. When I think about that I realize that the America I live in today isn't the one MLK wanted it to be. I believe one day we can get there. But until that happens, I'll just keep believing in the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...