Monday, February 1, 2016

My favorite Smash 4 players

     When its super late at night and I'm really tired I watch a lot of Smash videos from tournaments that may have happened like a week, two weeks, or even a few days ago. Its a blast and I've learned a lot from watching high level players duke it out. I've seen some of these great players in action at the local weekly tournament that I go to. Here's a list of some of my favorite players. Some of them are from right here in SoCal.
     It goes without saying that ZeRo is arguably the best Smash 4 player probably of all time. In 2015 alone I heard he won something like 52 national tournaments in a row, which is an insane record for a pro gamer! He's put in so much time and work into this game that working another job just isn't an option for him when he can make money playing Smash. ZeRo is definitely one of my favorite players. Also, he used to be a regular at Fire and Dice, the place I go to tournaments at every week. It would've been great to see him in action at a small local like that. I feel like ZeRo's come from a very humble upbringing from Chile and now he's made it as a pro gamer in America. Its kind of like the Korean Starcraft pros moving to America and becoming household names as players here. It's a beautiful thing. The thing I like about ZeRo is that he used to be a Diddy Kong main and he was so good with Diddy back then before they nerfed him. Now he's a Sheik only kind of guy but that's ok. I do get tired of the fact that pretty much all the top players in SoCal play Sheik (that's kind of boring) but hey, Sheik is the number one character in the game so playing her definitely has its advantages.
     Although ZeRo is a hype player with mad skill my favorite player is Nairo. I don't know too much about Nairo but he mains Zero Suit Samus and absolutely annihilates with her. His combos and overall style is so fun to watch. He's not a SoCal player but he's beaten ZeRo before. In 2015 he beat ZeRo at MLG, probably one of the first times ZeRo lost a national tournament. Nairo is the best Zero Suit Samus player (imo) but there are others who represent ZSS really well in big tournaments.
     Mars is one of those players. I don't know much about Mars but I saw a mirror match (Zss vs Zss) against Nairo and it was one of the best sets I've ever seen in Smash 4. They were going off!
     I also have to mention Dabuz, a super good Rosalina and Luma main that really took it to ZeRo at Genesis 3. That set was so hype. Dabuz even two stocked ZeRo in Game 1! Again, this was one of the better sets from 2015.
     Now time for the locals. Zenyou is one of the first super good Smash players I met at my first tournament. His Mario is absolutely amazing. Uptilts for days and combos that will make you automatically eat 70% in one string. When I went to my first tournament he talked to me and gave me great advice about my playing and just overall what its like being at a tournament and stuff. He's a great guy and gives back to the Smash community.
     Next, Larry Laur. Larry is a great Fox, he's a space animal legend. He places really high at big tournaments as well as locals. I used to main Fox so I really dig when high level players main him. Because Fox is a fast faller I feel like he gets combo'd super easy and his recovery can be punished pretty easily if you don't mix it up a lot.
     In addition, my favorite local Smash player from SoCal is definitely Jwest, or Jweast. He's a Samus main that is absolutely amazing. People always talk trash about Samus about how she's a garbage character but when Jwest plays her he absolutely crushes people. I saw a set where he actually took a game off ZeRo, it was super hype! I've seen him play at the local I go to and hope to see him in action again. I feel like he can go super far with Samus. I don't even think Esam's Samus is as good as Jwest's quite frankly, although I could be wrong. I just love Samus but I'm always too afraid to play her in a tournament match. Maybe one day I'll just go all Samus instead of Zss and see how I do. I feel like I've learned a lot about how to play Samus from watching Jwest.
     Also, I see great things from this guy Dynamo, a Sheik main. He's super young and he's already good at Smash, doing really well at the local. He's one of the first people I met at my first tournament and he always gives me great advice. Whenever I lose a match he can explain to me what I did wrong and how I can improve next time. Then there's this other kid CharlieDaKing, a Fox main. He'll go really far in Smash 4 as well, he's already a super good player. I've played both of these kids and it was like I just couldn't do anything against them, they were that good. Sugoi.
     I have to mention Saladin because he's been a great friend that I've made through Smash tournaments. He plays a mean Rosalina too! Then there's GaryB (Fox main), another friend. Also, there's FuzzballJones, a Roy main that is really good. I feel like he could one day go super far with Roy at a tournament if he puts in the time and effort.
     I feel like SoCal's Smash 4 players all have a hidden history and persona that nobody really knows about because our region just isn't as popular as like Tri-State and stuff, despite the fact that we probably have the strongest region in America. I hope I shared at least a little bit of cool information about them. Most of these people are just regular people who just happen to be really good at video games. It's been great getting to know some of them and watching them in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...