Monday, October 24, 2016

Battlefield 1, Should I get it now?


So Battlefield 1 came out the other day and its the talk of the town right now. I'd say we're kinda in a gaming lull right before BlizzCon but I think this game has already captured the zeitgeist.. Here is a brand new first person shooter that is great. We already got a taste in the beta during the summer but now we have the full gaming experience.

I decided to write about the game not because I own it but because the game is getting praise from all my friends and coworkers. I feel like I'm missing out because I don't have it. I could be wrong but they all seem to genuinely love the game.

I played the beta during the summer and it was a very hot-cold experience for me. I loved the graphics, movement, guns, and class specific soldier options (I played medic) but when I tried to do battle and fire in gun fights I just got mowed down like a tractor tracking corn. I literally died every time I shot at somebody. Kind of hilarious. But I wasn't really in awe of the fire fights. I was struck by the beauty of the map and fluidity of character movement. Everything just felt right. And this was just beta.

Imagine how the game actually plays. It's probably pretty fun. I'm debating on weather I should shell out the cash to pick up this game sooner rather than later. If I wait there's the possibility of a sale, which I think will happen sooner rather than later because of Black Friday and Christmas.

When I think of World War 1 I don't think of first person shooter games even though the first Call of Duty was based on World War 1. Not too many gaming companies have made shooters that are based on old times. I mean, I wish there was an excellent Western themed first person shooter but that's the topic for another discussion.

But World War 1 is important US History and its cool to see such an era in video gaming. Such a gritty war. But a war that could be argued had to be fought. There are a few wars in American history that had to be fought. But those days are over. The wars we fight now are proxy wars that have no clear ending.

I'll probably pick the game up at some point but not right away. I look forward to trying out some medic syringe kills. I also enjoy the idea of riding in vehicles like planes and tanks and causing a ruckus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...