Thursday, March 10, 2016

Nun chuka kata by Buckethead

      So I'm starting a new series where I write more about music, in particular writing about favorite songs and/or songs that I think people should hear. The first song for this series is Buckethead's Nun chuka kata.

     This is a great tune that sounds like a pure heavy metal climax that mixes the music up with techno and hip hop beats. At the same time it sounds like a pure quiet gentle sort of sound. The guitars are pure rock and roll power chords but the lead guitar parts are these harmonious melodies that sound sad and euphoric. What he's doing is this tremolo guitar riff for all the melodies. It sounds like a countdown to something that was once great. The whole tune is kind of a linear progression until the end where Bucket plays a super fast orgasmic guitar solo. This is the stuff that Big B has been known for all his life since he was young guy first featured in Guitar World. He's doing a ton of 3-4 per string scales and trying to add some melody in there with the flare. There's even some bluesy lead guitar stuff that sounds like Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page but with Big B's gymnast-like technical prowess. It sounds like he just recorded this tune live, especially the guitar solo. Although the solo shows a lot of grandiose guitar technique it still sounds very sloppy in parts which is strange because all his newer guitar solos all sound flawless on record.
     I heard this song when I was around 18-19 and at the time it was one of the greatest rock guitar instrumentals I've ever heard. And trust me I've heard a lot of instrumental shred guitar stuff back in my day. I've since moved on from shred and rock and now mainly focus on jazz. But when I hear a song like this it brings me back to my shred guitar phase. I've even seen Buckethead in concert in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I went with a friend and I can say that although Buckethead played amazing, sounded great, and looked cool he only played for about 45 minutes and the show was over. For a while I heard that he was retiring from music but recently I heard he's playing a concert in Milwaukee again. The album that this song is on is Monsters and Robots and its the final song on the album, probably the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...