Thursday, July 6, 2017

How Questing Alone in World of Warcraft Made Me Appreciate the Single Player Experience


So I recently started playing World of Warcraft again mostly because my long time friends from Wisconsin play it and my best friend even said he'd give me gold to buy those game time tokens, which means I won't have to pay to play. If he doesn't help me out the game is a whooping $14.99/month which is pretty extravagant pricing. Pretty excited about that. I started off with a night elf demon hunter but I figured I should play a ranged caster dps with my friends (based on their recommendation but I also like priest class and always wanted to roll one) so I boosted a shadow priest to level 100 and haven't looked back. Mostly because the entire leveling experience that is 100 to 110 (max level is 110) has been a blast. I've actually gained a new appreciation of the single player experience by questing in wow by myself.

In the past when I played Wow I just clicked on every quest as fast as I could and just skimmed everything. Now when I play I read every quest and ponder upon every nuance, sentence, story, and lore. Every quest is an important part of the overall picture. Like a million pieces to a puzzle. There's probably more than a million quests in wow and people worked to create them. Not reading and enjoying it would be a waste of their efforts.

At first questing alone was boring. But then I began to love questing in Azeroth. Somewhere around level 102 on my demon hunter was when I realized that although this is just basic leveling, its still an important and fun part of the game. It teaches you everything: how to do rotation for your character, the story and lore for all kinds of story lines, and all the various parts of Azeroth. It takes a long time to level up but I actually feel like just doing basic quests is the fastest and easiest way to level up. Dungeons don't really give too much experience so they're mostly only good for gearing up (which you still need to do). So questing is the default way to level up. It's going to take me a super long time to hit 110 on my priest but when I do I'll be thankful for the fun journey.

Sometimes I'll run into other players slaying enemies for a "kill all those guys" quest and its fun when I end up helping them or vice versa. Questing has given me a new appreciate for the whole single player experience. I'm down to play some other single player games that I haven't played much because for a super long time now I've been a multiplayer only kind of guy. I'm looking at you Skyrim and Fallout 4!

Now that I'm not so focused on playing Overwatch all the time I feel refreshed. I still play it but Wow has become my main focus, at least for a little while when I wake up in the morning. Nothing like waking up and questing out in Azeroth before I head to work. For an mmo (massive multiplayer online game) Wow sure has a spectacular single player feel. I'm sure things will be much different when I hit 110 and I'm pvping as shadow priest.

I can't wait to wreck some people with unholy magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...