Friday, December 1, 2017

What are you reading?


I've been doing a lot of reading. I figured I'd write about what I've been reading partly to keep track of it all and also to share my interests with the readers.

First of all, I've been reading a lot of online news and local (physical copies) papers. I've been reading the Guardian, LaTimes, NyTimes, Wired, and LaWeekly. These are all good publications with such a vast array of literary styles. I've been keeping up on net neutrality through Wired and getting my politics from online websites. By the time I see the news later at night or at work I already know everything they're going to say-to a point. Sometimes they have different agendas but for the most part they are telling the same stories.

Then there's all my library books.

Yesterday I checked out Charles Mingus' autobiography. I'm fifty pages in and its quite the novel, very detailed, dark, romantic, sad, and its just the beginning.

That same day I also checked out a book called How Computers Work. That one is very technical so we'll have to see if I even make it that far in that one. I've picked up an interest in computers because of a book on art and aesthetic called Multimedia From Wagner to Virtual Reality. That book contains a forward by William Gibson (one of my favorite writers) and tons of essays by artists, musicians, and computer engineers on art and technology. It has a lot of computer history in it and from there I became more interested in computers.

Then there's Eifelheim by Michael Flynn. This book is about a priest in medieval Germany who converts aliens. The book is so prolix and unrewarding that it is super hard to read. This is the second time I've had it from the library and I'm determined to finish it, more as an accomplishment than because its actually good. Its very dense.

Lastly, we have Kindred by Octavia Butler. Butler's work can be sort of complicated too but in a rewarding sense that Flynn lacks. The book is about a black woman who gets sent back in time to the antebellum South to the time of her great-great-great relatives and stuff. Needless to say its pretty dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...