Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse Virus pt. 6

Greetings noble readers of my blog. How's the quarantine life treating you all? I figured I would continue my series about life during the coronavirus. If you haven't seen any of the previous posts about this up to this point, I recommend you click on the 'plague journal' at the top of my blog page and review some of the earlier posts. Or you can find it here. I explain the working conditions at my job and stuff, it's quite an overview. 

Anyways, we're somewhere in the middle of this virus. Not contained by any means but it has not taken over California like it did in New York, Italy, China, or Spain. 23,000 people have died in the US. But that's considered low numbers. For the time being. But it's still a crippling reminder that this virus has ravaged our country. It's very sad. 

We're all very lucky to have good leadership in California under Gavin Newsom and under the Los Angeles mayor Garcetti. They called for stay at home orders long before other states followed suit. Smart guys who listen to their advisers. 

I didn't catch the virus from work but the threat of continuing to work in the front end at a grocery store greatly expanded my chance of catching the virus, exponentially. Naturally, I took a leave of absence from my job, as other coworkers did as well. The number one reason was fear that I could catch the virus, bring it home, and give it to my elderly father, whom I love very much. The other being unsafe working conditions.

Now I'm on somewhat of a respite. The threat of the virus is still there if I go out in public like another grocery store but as long as I stay in lockdown I am now much safer. Thankfully! Eventually, I'll have to return to work but hopefully, by then the stay at home order will be lifted and perhaps businesses will open up again. I doubt it but anything's possible, right?

What is life like now? Well, it's calm. I have a regular routine per usual. 

I started running in the mornings to try to lose weight. Been working on zen breathing and the art of running. I do afternoon jazz guitar concert sets on my balcony for all the passersby walking down my busy street. I love to play solo guitar jazz standards. I stream video games on twitch, which you can find here. I read a lot, mostly science fiction at the moment. I've also got a new Kant book to read as well; Moral on Metaphysics, my cup of tea. I plan on writing a zombie virus series which you can find the beginning of here

I have no social life because some of my friends have existing conditions and some of their parents are against us meeting up during this time of crisis. A fair assessment of the situation I would say. As a result, we've banded together online, text chat on phone, direct messaging on Facebook, voice coms on Discord, hanging out in each other's twitch streams, gaming together online, and such. In such dire straights, you would think the infrastructure of the internet would collapse, lol. But it's fun to talk to and chill with my friends online. I miss them very much and perhaps that's the greatest loss during this pandemic. The fact that we can't gather round in person, chill together, find solace in human solidarity together. 

If there's one thing I'll remember with all this shit going on [a popular California way of talking about the virus], other than 'social distancing,' it's the fact that "we're all in this together."

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...