Thursday, December 17, 2020

On the 17th day of Christmas

It's the 17th day of Christmas! Here's a general update. 

The grocery store gig has been good. I'm getting somewhat consistent hours, but could use more. Hours are still mostly cut across the board, so most of my co-workers aren't doing so great financially. One little hiccup from the company, they started sending out checks via mail rather than having the employees [that pick up their checks at the store] pick them up at the store. Naturally, this has sowed discord amongst the employees and a sore blow to their morale, as they aren't getting their checks on time when they want and need them. Companies need to better by their employees. This is such a small change but it's done a lot of damage to the employees.  

In terms of covid, there has been none or not very many cases at the job. In terms of covid safety, surprisingly, we have been very safe. I can't quite explain it other than the fact that the store is so empty when I work [late shifts] that there's hardly any people coming in, making my chances of catching covid from a customer very low. Eso es muy bien! 

This is a super harsh winter in California this year. Surprisingly, flu and influenza is very low this time of year [due to mask wearing, and not breathing in as much cold air, and because people aren't going out as much], but you never know when you can catch a cold or worse, the corona virus. The weather is amazing during the day, about 60 degrees, but at night it goes to about 50. Desert weather.

In terms of gifts, I've already finished all my shopping. This year, because I knew that work hours were low, I made sure to do all my shopping in the first week of December. Cool things I look forward to getting for Christmas: A Japanese dictionary from my friend, a German dictionary from my brother, a steampunk novel from my father, and candy, oh! How I love candy! Ich liebe Süßigkeiten! I am so looking forward to eating candy on Christmas! 

I've been playing a lot of computer games online: Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, and Team Fortress 2. Mi dia fue maravilosa porque jugue los video juegos en la computadora con mis amigos todos los dias. 

I've become a much better player at all the games. I have three different Heroes of the Storm teams that I play with at different times and on different days depending on who's available at any given time. The main thing I've learned from all this online gaming with voice and headsets is that its not always about winning or playing well, you have to learn how to speak well with your team, and how to boost their morale when their morale is very low, you have to learn how to speak as a leader, and then they will follow your lead. Naturally as the medic in every game, I'm the playmaker. Ich bin der Doktor, Art und Fürsorge.

Lastly, I've been learning languages on the Google Translate app and YouTube, Sugoi kūru! [to learn the accents better through voice actors], going out on long walks, reading lots of books [I just finished Ovid's Metamorphosis, and a book on Buddhism, called The Things Buddha taught], and playing acoustic guitar and electronic keyboard, el teclado y la guitarra, me encanta. 

This Christmas is a real blow to the morale of the American people. Just be happy for what you have, but more importantly than being happy about what you have, make sure that you have deep in your heart, the capacity for happiness. Many a time has gone by when a friend, family member, or casual acquaintance is very upset about whatever is going on in their life, only for me to realize that even if things were going good for this said person, they still would have negative things to say. You must learn to not say negative things around the people you care about. It's not always about being happy, rather, sometimes its the capacity for happiness that must be restored. 

Felicem natalem Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...