Wednesday, May 27, 2015

First impressions of Smite


 Smite is a third person action moba (massive online battle arena) that is free to play! It's got a super competitive scene and is made by Hi-Rez Studios, which also made the games Tribes:Ascend and Global Agenda. The heroes that you play in this game are all various gods, from various cultures, from Egypt, Rome, Greece, etc. My favorite character so far is Freya, the Valkyrie. The picture above is Freya as on the deviant art website. Anyways, I'm only at level 3 in the game so far so I don't have the main game modes unlocked right now. The main game mode is 5v5 with lanes. Basically to win you destroy the enemy team's towers, kill their phoenix, and destroy their titan to win. But I won't unlock that mode until I reach level 5 :( So anyways, I played all these other game modes.
     The first one I played was Arena, where you just straight up fight and battle to the death for the most kills. I just played with other people against the computer for all these modes so it was pretty easy and fun. The most important thing about Smite for me, is that you get your ultimate ability at level 5, which is pretty fast and amazing, considering that in all other mobas you don't get your "ult" until level 10. So Arena is just a battle royale to see who gets the most kills. Pretty fun. No towers to destroy or anything like that.
    The next game mode I tried out was random one lane battle. Basically you spawn as a random god and your fighting only in one lane. I can't remember for sure but I believe this mode was with 5v5 heroes. Every hero is fighting in that one lane trying to destroy the enemy team's tower, kill their phoenix, and destroy their titan to win the game. It's basically a super hectic fight fest and the chaser is that you can't go back to base to heal up, you have to stay out in the battlefield until you die, then you spawn back to base and can buy items and stuff. This mode was very fun, and the first time I played the god Freya, the Valkyrie, she's a great character. She's a blonde with armor and a sword. Basically her first ability gives her stronger melee attack. Her second ability gives her attack a long range magic attack. Her third ability throws up enemies in the air. And her ultimate flies her in the air and has her throwing magic projectiles at her enemies. Pretty sick! So yeah it was fun playing her in this mode.
     The last game mode I tried out was 3v3 lane match. Basically the regular game mode except with only three people instead of five. There was outside areas outside of the lane where you could get power up auras and stuff by defeating monsters in the jungle (area outside of lanes where you can get power ups).
     Basically, my first impression is that this game is amazing. I can't wait to unlock the regular game mode. The graphics are great, the actual playing of the game is good, and the characters are all pretty cool and unique. This would be one of my later mobas that I've played and I would have to say that this one is one of the best. I would put it on the same level as Heroes of the Storm in terms of fun and playability. The thing with mobas that I don't really like is the fact that there's no real story or lore, there's just tons of characters battling with it. With these gods, there should be lore and stuff because not everyone has read Norse mythology or whatever other things they have in the game. So some of these gods I have no idea who they really are without lore of some kind. Anyway, I've found a new game to play online other than Heroes of the Storm. By the way, HoTs comes out June 2nd, then everyone will be playing it. Smite is a super tight game and I'm glad I finally got around to downloading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...