Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Project M

     
     I finally got my copy of Brawl in through the post. So I downloaded Project M onto an sd card and tested it out. I gotta say that the game is really well made, however, there are some bad things about it as well.
      First of all, the animation and graphics in this fan made mod aren't that great. It's kind of grainy and pixelated for a game mod made on the Wii. Brawl looks a million times better than PM (Project M). Some of the characters downright look horrendous, especially Zero Suit Samus. Her skins in this game are some of the worst looking graphics I've seen in a game since the early PlayStation days. The stages in the game look terrible as well, especially the backgrounds on the stages. We put up with the terrible graphics because the game has amazing gameplay!
      The game-play in this game is terrific. PM has some additional characters that aren't from Brawl, like Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario. There are some cool skins that come with the characters as well. I really like the Mewtwo skin where he has the helmet thing on his head that was used to control his powers in the first Pokemon movie. I also really dig the Snake Big Boss skin, which is basically Snake wearing some army espionage type clothing with an eye-patch. So the characters are all pretty cool. Now let's discuss some of the game-play mechanics.
     Basically, this game is like Brawl with Melee mechanics. It's hard to describe with words but that's the best way I can explain it. There is wave dashing for one thing, which completely changes the mechanics from Brawl. You can move around and attack much faster in PM. Also, the way you grab and hold onto the stage is the same way as in Melee. You can only grab the stage if you are pointed in the direction of the stage.
     What I really like about this game is how Fox plays. Fox plays pretty much like how he does in Melee, which is a much slower paced Fox from Smash 4, but still quite a deadly and effective character with plenty of potential for nasty killer combos. The main thing that I don't like about PM is how Snake changed pretty drastically. In Brawl I'm a Snake main so the first thing I did on PM was test out how Snake plays and he plays in a more aggressive manner in PM but I still don't quite like the changes. I preferred his missile special attack even though sometimes it was slow and would miss. In addition, I don't like his down B in PM where he throws down land mines and they automatically blow up as soon as you plant them, so you have to immediately spot dodge away and hop that it hits your opponent. It's kind of stupid but it is very effective if it hits. Instead of the missile from Brawl, Snake gets a sleeping dart, which puts opponents to sleep. It's pretty nifty but it only puts them to sleep for maybe 2 seconds, at best. It's an effective tool for getting in that last hit to kill. Lastly, I don't like how they replaced his forward smash with a double knife attack, which if you hold, can add a third hit to it. It kill pretty nicely but its just not flashy enough for Snake in my pinion. Snake should have missiles! I haven't really messed around too much with any of the other characters except Fox and Snake so I can't really say too much about the other characters. I'll mess around and try out other characters and see how they play. I did like how Dr. Mario played when I tried him out today. I'm looking forward to play this game with my friends. It's going to be a big competitive game with the guys, just like Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4, we really play them all. Although I would say our main game that we play a lot is Smash 4 on the Wii U, which I just got recently. If I had to give this mod a rating I would give it a solid 9 out of 10. The graphics need work but the game-play makes up for it. Plus this game is one of the big Smash tourney games at the moment. Every Smasher knows of it but not all of them have played it, making it a nice little add-on addition to the Super Smash Bros universe.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're having fun. What's a fan mod???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a mod made by regular guys rather than a gaming company or studio. And they did it for free too.

    ReplyDelete

flowers and sunshine!

Greetings, cosmic playground ,  How goes the cosmic dance in your corner of the infinitesimal universe? Life has been a delightful romp thro...